Friday, February 23, 2007

About Me...

I thought that I should post a little something about myself to give everyone some back ground information on who I am and where I come from. So here goes.

My name is Kendra Rudder and I am born and raised in Knoxville, TN. This is lucky for me because, as I am sure you all know, Knoxville is the home of Scripps Networks. Scripps Networks includes HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, Fine Living, GAC, HGTV HD and Food Network HD.

I started working for Scripps six years ago in the Traffic department. Since Traffic is the last stop before going to air, I was able to learn all about what it takes to make a cable television network work. During my time in Traffic, I had the opportunity to work on several of our networks, mainly HGTV. I was also able to work with a variety of departments including Ad Sales, Programming and Creative Services just to name a few.

It was my relationship with Creative Services that led me to my current position. I now work in the Creative Services Department for the HGTV Brand. My official title is Manager - On-Air Strategy and Planning HGTV. I have been in my current position for almost seven months now and have loved every minute of it.

In January, my Director, Paige Hardwick and I joined the WICT Atlanta Chapter. Paige was formerly a member of WICT when she worked for Turner Broadcasting in Atlanta. She and I both felt that through WICT we could learn valuable management skills that would be beneficial to us both at a personal level and a professional one.

When I learned of the WICT Leadership Conference I immediately wanted to go. However, initially I was not going to be able to attend. Then I got the e-mail about the scholarship that WICT was offering. So, I decided to give it a shot and I sent in my application. Although I didn't think there was any way I'd win in a million years, I thought - what the heck - it never hurts to try, right?

Well, taking the chance totally paid off this time. I found out just last week that I was in fact the winner of the 2007 WICT Leadership Conference Scholarship. Few times in my life have I been more excited about something than I was that day when I found out I won. I am still super excited. There are so many reasons why I cannot wait to attend this conference. I will post more on that later.

For now, I want to once again express my sincere appreciation to WICT for giving me this opportunity. I also want to throw a shout out to Paige and thank her for always challenging, inspiring and motivating me towards new heights.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kendra,

Congratulations on your accomplishment of winning the WICT Atlanta scholarship to the WICT Leadership Conference in NY. I'm sure it will be a great experience for you. I am the National Mentor to the WICT Atlanta Chapter and on the WICT National Board of Directors. I look forward to meeting you in NYC. Again, congratulations!!

Kathy Payne
VP of Programming, Cox Communications

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kendra! This will be an excellent experience for you. I was a WICT member for a long time while at Turner and it is one of the most beneficial organizations. I'm glad you took the chance because it did pay off! It is my hope for you to experience more of these types of professional and personal growth opportunities.

Paige